We are so excited for the return of Frugal Foodie Mama to the blog for this season. Carrie shops the market for delicious in season produce and returns home to her kitchen to whip up some wonderful. This month’s installment is Roasted Radishes with Garlic Leek Butter – ENJOY!
If you visit the Bridgeport Farmers Market on any given Sunday during their outdoor season, you are sure to find at least 40 different local farmers selling their freshly picked vegetables and pasture raised eggs & meats from baskets and coolers at various tables throughout the market. I am on a mission once again during this outdoor farmers market season to show you how you can create a delicious meal purchasing mostly locally grown & raised produce and meats at the market this summer.
For my first recipe of the 2019 outdoor market season, I am sharing my local twist on a classic French staple- radishes served with creamy butter & coarse salt. Usually this dish is served with crisp, raw radishes, but I decided to roast them to bring out a little of the sweetness in them. And I gave the butter a little extra kick of flavor by adding in sauteed garlic leeks that I picked up at the farmers market. If you can’t find the garlic leeks, feel free to use local garlic or garlic scapes in this butter instead.
This dish is just simple & easy to make. It is the perfect appetizer to serve before a summer meal, & also makes an amazing accompaniment to a cheese platter while sipping on a glass of wine.
This month’s recipe features fresh radishes from Jennings Brae Bank Farm and locally grown garlic leeks from Mt Hollow Farm. Be sure to stop by their tables during your next visit to the Bridgeport Farmers Market, & tell them I sent you 🙂
Roasted Radishes with Garlic Leek Butter
Yield: Serves 2-3
prep time: 15 M
cook time: 20 M
total time: 35 M
- 2-3 bunches of radishes, stems & roots removed & washed (cut any larger ones in half)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic leeks, chopped
- Smoked salt or kosher salt
How to cook Roasted Radishes with Garlic Leek Butter
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss the radishes with the olive oil, salt, & pepper. Evenly spread out the radishes on the prepared baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, turning over halfway through.
- While the radishes are roasting, prepare the garlic leek butter. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the chopped garlic leeks & saute for about 2 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, whip the butter using a hand mixer. Add in the cooled garlic leeks & mix in. Place the flavored butter into a dish & top with smoked salt or kosher salt.
- Serve the roasted radishes alongside the garlic butter leek for dipping. Enjoy!